The Birth of a Flute

Day 3
 

I started Day 3 by cutting a 45 degree angle into the corners of the flute blank on the router table, making sure to stop the cut at the same place on each side of the nest area.

Once the 45 degree cuts were made, the nest came into shape.  I started out with a larger nest, knowing that I can always make it smaller down the road if I decide to do so.

Using a flat wood wrasp, I shaved down the high spots around the flute and then began to smoothen the surface, starting with 100 grit sandpaper and then moving on to 150 grit paper.

The flute slowly takes its final shape.  My goal was to have a uniform thickness throughout the flute body, especially in the bore area, south of the TSH.

Getting pretty round, but still room for improvement.

Once I was happy with the overall shape, I started shaving down the mouth end with the wrasp, finishing the end with 100 grit and then 150 grit sandpaper.

A shot of the flute head on.

End of Day 3.
It's really looking a lot like a flute here!  I'm very pleased with the way the flute is sounding.  I'm eager to start work on the fetish next.  I still have no idea what it will look like, but once I figure that out, I may be able to shape the nest to compliment it.

Day 4

On Day 4, I made the fetish (or bird).  I was thinking about doing something curvy with a low profile and this is what I came up with.  The wood I used came from the same piece of cedar that the body is from.  To shape the piece, I used a band saw, a Dremel with a sanding band, a flat wood file and some sandpaper.

A close-up of the fetish on the nest.

End of Day 4
The flute sounds great with the new fetish on it.
Now, it's time to put it down for a few days so I can think about what I should do next.

Proceed to Day 5

Back to the Home Page

 

Questions or Comments: Email Michelle
Last Updated 3/27/07